Thursday, September 27, 2007

Moving around in Bangkok

One may wonder "how do I move around in such a big city?" The answer is moving around in Bangkok is easy as there are all means of ways to move around. From Underground train, elevated train, Taxi, boats, tuk tuks and motocycles. Forgot to mention Buses, from airconditioned ones to non.

Remember to grab a Bangkok Map from anywhere especially at the tourist office to elevated train stations.

The simple truth is that traffic in Bangkok is huge, you can find yourself sitting in the bus or taxi for hours, which in the slopes of Mt. Kenya where I was born you would walk like nothing. But since Im not there, I have to find a way to move, so if your routes are covered by the sky train, you had better go for it which means 0 time in the traffic.

Taxis are cheap, it is not like in the west where you sit in a taxi and your heart jumps every time the meter ticks. My recent taxi experience is on our way to the airport last August from Bologna - Bologna airport was something like 5 kilometers and I don't want to talk about the rate here as I will scare you. Here, taxi meter starts at 35 baht (baht is the local currency)


I have seen many people here prefer the motorbykes, I have no idea how much they cost but of course less than taxi. I do not have much to say about this motocycle thing only that they are able to avoid stopping in the traffic as it is easy for them to pass in small spaces possible.
Talking of motors and Me a child from the slopes of Mt. Kenya, in my village there were only 2 motocycles and they belonged to veterinarians , even the cows and sheep in the village nodded when they passed by as they could tell it was there doctor on his way home or to work. And, one of them had an accident and we all were scared about this 2 wheel gadget. Anyway everyone used to say they were dangerous. Up to date I would not have the courage to sit on them especially in a trafficky town like Bangkok. This is personal nothing to do with the way they ride for heavens sake. Feel free to ride.



You might also want to try the TUK TUK experience, they always tell you 10 baht, and the experience I had they took us to a shopping center instead of the temple we wanted to visit. But, I think they can tell the new arrivals.

I leave you to read this for today and lets see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=1a5621a63b72ea00312eedd42ebe4932